This has been a hard week. Sunday was filled with the anticipation of what was represented by
Monday. Monday was the first of many many firsts that my family is facing. Tuesday was hard because for some reason, driving to work on 65, my heart was overwhelmed with how much I miss my Dad. Why would a drive on 65 cover me with sadness? I'm not sure....all I know is that tears fell and my heart broke a bit more. Wednesday, my mom and I went to lunch. We loaded Ben up in his B's van and headed out for a simple lunch at a Chinese restaurant. Both of us cried as we drove to lunch. This was my first time riding in her van with just the three of us. This was the first time I realized that I was sitting in his chair. A man sitting close to us at lunch was talking to us about how fun grandbabies are. He casually mentioned how being a grand dad was so much fun. My mom and I both realized (probably at the exact same second) that my Dad was the BEST grand dad! Thursday, one of the patients at Marc's clinic brought in peach cobbler. A simple dessert that most look at as delicious .... but we look at and think of my Dad.
So Friday is here. And as I write this, I realize that while all of these moments have made me sad, there were plenty of moments that made me happy too. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday also had my Ben. Each day he played and smiled and crawled and cruised. Each day, he looked at the picture of his G and smiled. Each day he let me hug and kiss him. Each day he filled my heart with so much joy!
A few months ago, Ben was deemed
our divine distraction and that is exactly what he still is. He made me smile and laugh so much on Monday, when he had his 9 month pictures made. He laughed and smiled at the camera. He ate lunch with us at the Chinese restaurant in his highchair surrounded by Cheerios and Puffs. He made my mom and me laugh as he tried watermelon for the first time. He made Marc and I laugh as he sat in the backyard grass and giggled at the funny prickly grass. He is the best thing that has ever happened to our family. So, as sad as some moments are, we divinely distracted by these precious Benjamin moments as well!
No comments:
Post a Comment