Last Wednesday, Abby had her 6 month checkup. She is perfect and growing and a bundle of wonderful baby girl. Unfortunately, she had an ear infection in her right ear. No signs, no symptoms. So our doctor, starts her on Amox. We start it Wednesday morning. She is acting fine....who knew that sweet girl had an ear infection.
On Sunday, as I was about to pack Abby up so we could head to Ben's friend Peyton's 2nd Birthday Party, she felt warm. I take her temperature and it was 101. Plans immediately change. I give her tylanol, we put some cool cloths on her and hope the fever breaks. It goes to 102. We put her in a room temperature bath. We call the after hours nurse just to make sure we are doing the right thing....because even though we are 2nd time parents....Ben NEVER ran fever! We were doing what we should, so we head to bed that night. We are awakened at around 130 am to Abby screaming. She is smoking hot! I take her temp and it is 104.5. Trying not to panic....but we are!! We give tylanol, the bath and the cool cloths and pray. What else can you do? We are in a panic with fear and completely powerlessness! We get the call back and are assured 104 is ok. This helps but until it goes down, these parents pray! We check again, and it is down to 102.
On Monday, I call and get her in to see one of the available pediatricians that morning. The ear is still infected so the first thought is the amox isn't working....or it could be a virus....or it could be a UTI. She wants to make sure it isn't a UTI, so the test is to insert a small catheter and pull urine. I was assured that this is harder on me than her, but it killed me to see this. My poor sweet little Abby. Seeing your baby hurt is so difficult. Luckily the test was negative and we head home with new antibiotic.....Augmentin. Fever completely broke Monday afternoon and she seemed like her sweet happy self. Then I see the red dots. Here we go! Of course it is after hours. We are told by the on call nurse to stop meds and see doctor the next morning. Dots spread! She doesn't want to drink. She cries and my heart breaks. It was a very very rough night.
This morning, my sweet Mom heads over and Marc takes Ben to school. We see the doctor at 1030 and he takes a look at sweet spotted Abby. Ear better. Spots everywhere. Throat red. Diagnosis: virus and rash from fever breaking. Possible hand foot and mouth. Stay on new antibiotic. Spots are still there but happy girl is back. Still not wanting to drink like she usually does, but better.
Side note:
Ben is such a funny kid. He cracks me up without even trying. Tonight, after I had tried
to feed Abby 1 oz of formula that contained her antibiotic, Ben played. He finds a Chickfila ketchup
container....you know, the new ones? I see him holding it and then put it in his mouth. He comes over by me and before I can say, "Ben, don't bite that, it will......." it does. It explodes! Ketchup all over him and me!!!! He stands in complete shock....and so do I!!
During bathtime, he is playing in the bubbles and loving every second of it. I hear, "poop poop poop" I turn my head to see what every parent knows one day will happen. There in the bath water is.....yep, poop! Bath is over!
So it is now Tuesday evening at 1030. I mere 48 hours since the craziness began. Lots of new experiences for both parent and child(ren). Fever, rash, ketchup, poop.....4 things that rarely go together....but in our world, they sure have made a stink! (pun intended!)
I found your blog through Team Lashlee. William is almost 2 and had hand, foot, mouth. He quit eating for about 3 days and only drank gatorade. It is pitiful. Your kids are beautiful!
ReplyDelete