Monday, January 2, 2012

Changing Spaces!

The time has come for all of Ben's little clothes, baby bibs, burp clothes, tiny shoes/socks, and baby blankets  to be packed up and stored away.  So, I have taken on the task and it is a bit overwhelming.  We are planning on keeping Ben in his room but moving out the furniture to make room for his new bed, bookshelves and big boy toys.  Abigail will be across the hall in what used to be the guest room.  She will use his transitional crib and all the matching furniture (dresser, changing table, rocker).  Ben will be getting a new transitional crib that will match his bookshelves (which were in the guest room) and dresser (which will need to be painted to match).  The guest room is now upstairs.  We are officially moving three rooms all around!

My "To Do" list is:
1.  Clear out baby clothes from dresser and closet.
2.  Organize all of his new/big boy clothes
3.  Paint Abigail's dresser
4.  Clear out guest closet (I dread this like the plague) and organize for her tiny girly clothes
5.  Move ALL of my books into storage bins so that the bookshelves will be his to stack his many books
6.  Arrange Ben's room with his new furniture (crib, two bookshelves, dresser)
7.  Arrange Abigail's new room will her new furniture
8.  Decorate Ben's room (not sure what we are doing here yet)
9.  Decorate Abigail's room in all powder pink and whites/creams
10.  Get her name wall decal
11.  Hang her chandelier
12.  Organize guest room.....and
13.  Somehow magically find enough storage space for all the  bins!

The nesting that comes with pregnancy is in overdrive.  I know it is January 2nd and I have until April, but I am on a rampage to get this done.  My speedbump?  Well, Mr Ben is all about playing in the choas.  As I pull out clothes, fold and place in a bin....he can just as easily reach in and take it all out.  As I am in his closet organizing and arranging.....he is pushing the door closed.  He is having a blast and I am sweating!

At the end of 2 days of Operation Baby Ben Closet Clearout, I am left with 3 large bins of clothes, 2 medium bins of clothes, and 1 large bin of baby toys.  And that is just his old clothes!!  I have found about 5 outfits with the tags still attached, 2 pairs of shoes he never wore, and so many clothes that brought back memory upon memory.  His "coming home from the hospital" outfit, his first Christmas outfit, his first Easter outfit, his Halloween costume all made me smile and tear at the same time.  Tiny socks and hats that somehow used to fit him.  About 1000 onesies that all said something that made me laugh. 






I am no where near done, but at least the process has started!

This is teaching me to go ahead and begin the process of learning how to mulit-task on a WHOLE NEW level. 

Let the checking off of the  "To Do" list begin!!

1 comment:

  1. So bittersweet! Why don't you bring Ben to play or I can bring C over there so you can have some alone packing time?!

    ReplyDelete