Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Hot and Now

There are so many memories that I cherish about my childhood.  There isn't enough blog space for me to write about each one....but sometimes, a memory comes back and is played out again right in front of my eyes. 

As far back as I can remember, the Selfs went to Krispy Kreme on Friday or Saturday nights.  It was usually a family trip to the mall or dinner and the night ended at the ONE KK in Birmingham.  1st Ave North, KK.  It wasn't the new KK that is around these days.  It was the old KK.....with green speckled booths and barstools.  I remember Allen and I getting a donut and milk and my parents getting a donut and a cup of coffee.  It really seems like not that long ago!  If we were in Winston Salem visiting my Granny and Uncle Dee, we went to the ORIGINAL KK!  Yes, that's right!  KK was founded in Winston Salem....so in a way, KK is part of the family.  The one in Winston was special, because it had the glass walls that allowed you to watch the magic of a donut's birth.  The conveyer belts, the icing waterfall, the row and rows of fresh donuts. 

Years later, these early KKs were renovated into sparkly new and modern ones.  They did lose a bit of their charm, but the donuts were just as delicious. 

Ben has eaten KK many times.....but since he became a toddler, he hasn't eaten inside one.  Not sure why, but he hadn't.  Today, on my way home from picking them up from school, the kiddos and I went in for a afternoon snack.  A chocolate milk and sprinkle donut for Ben, a glazed and coffee for me.  We snacked and I talked to Ben about KK.  I held him up and showed him the same icing waterfall that I used to watch as a kid.  He walked up and down the window, watching the magic occur.  I got a few glazed to go (we can't leave Daddy out) and we headed home. 
.







In my mind, I was little and watching the donuts.  I was sitting in a green speckled booth beside my Dad and his cup of coffee.  Oh, what memories I have and what memories I am now making with my kiddos

No comments:

Post a Comment