Saturday, June 16, 2012

Dear Dad

Of all the holidays I have faced this past year, tomorrow may be the hardest.  It is the day I celebrate him as MY dad.  I have thought so much about how to face tomorrow....and what I have decided to do is do what I have done for the past months.  I will write.  That is what I have done throughout it all.  That is what my Dad would probably expect me to do.  After all, there hasn't been a Father's Day when I haven't written him.  So, here I go.  With tears already falling, here I go....

Dear Dad,

As I sit here tonight, I think of you.  I think of all the things I wish I could say to you.  Oh, how I miss you so much. 

Your grandson is growing up so fast.  He is just a little man who loves to play and loves to love.  He gives the best hugs and the best kisses.  He has the best heart.....and he reminds me of you.  You would just be so proud of him.  He carries around your and Mom's picture.  When I ask, "who is this?", he says "G".  I ask, "what is he wearing?", he says, "hat!".  You are his G....he knows you ....he will always know you.  Trust me, he will. 

Your granddaughter is just a beautiful bundle of baby girl.  She smiles and giggles.  She is just amazing.  Your namesake....your granddaughter.

So, from them, they wish you a Happy GrandFather's Day!!

Marc and I talk about you all the time.  Little things around our home remind us of you.  Some make us smile, some make us cry.  But your legacy is here....it is everywhere.  Who you are will forever be a part of who we are.  After all, a man like you, a husband like you, and a dad like you are rare.

Father's Day is about celebrating you.  And I celebrate you and everything about you.  I'd give so much to be able to hold your hand and feel your squeeze.  I'd hug you again in a heartbeat if I had the chance.  My one hope is that God is letting you watch us down here.  I don't know if that is possible, but I sure hope it is.  If not, I pray that he is filling you in on it all.  Just because you are not here, does not mean you are not a part of it all.  You are. 

I love you and miss you with all I am.  Tomorrow is for you.  Tomorrow, I will celebrate you.

Happy Father's Day, Dad!!



1 comment:

  1. I honestly waited a couple days to read this, because I somehow thought it would make it easier to read. I was wrong. My heart hurts for you, but I know that you will always have wonderful memories of your dad and that Ben and Abigail will know him well. Love you and your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete