Sunday, June 3, 2012

A letter to friends

Dear Friends,

The last thing I want to be is a Debbie Downer. But, there is an important issue that I hold so close to my heart.

It used to just be the threat of sun damage years down the road. Thick skin or a wrinkle were the worries if you didn't use sun screen. Friends, it's not just that. Skin cancer falls in many different categories. From the moles that need to be removed .... to the word that strikes fear in my heart and my families hearts...

Melanoma.

It isn't just a mole that breaks the ABCD rule. It is so much more. Melanoma is a cancer that once metasticizes, can go anywhere. Not just to other places on your skin....but inside. It follows your lymph system. It be becomes just like other more well known cancers....it goes to the lungs, the brain. 

My prayer for everyone is they go to a dermatologist just as often as a dentist. Think about how big of an organ your skin is. It needs to be checked and examined. Find a dermatologist. Schedule a full body skin check. It is worth it!

 Because of my family history, I go to my dermatologist every 6 months. She is excellent. If a mole or freckle looks suspicious she removes it...right then and there. She sends everything for biopsy! I have had a total of 6 removed and biopsied in the past 2 years.  I am blessed that all of mine have been benign. But I will continue to go every 6 months to ensure catching something if it ever arises.

Friends, the drive for me to write then probably lies in the fact that I lost my Dad to melanoma almost 11 months ago.  So, as the power of July 5th approaches, I write this with the hope that each of you will be sun safe. Please wear sunscreen....all the time. Ladies, your face moisturizer that you wear everyday needs to have SPF in it. It isn't just important at the pool or at the beach. It is everyday. In the back yard...while out shopping.....all the time. Love your skin. Protect your skin. It is so important!

My dermatologist info is ....
www.invernessderm.com
The staff there is fantastic!


With love,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment