When I look back on my life, I can see how one situation or heart ache or success or closed door or open door or even conversation steered me toward who I would eventually become. One of the biggest is the impact of my Mom on my life. She has dedicated her life to being my friend....my biggest cheerleader.....my confidant.....my therapist......my support......my mom.
From my most long ago memory, she has been a part of it. She has taught me more things than can ever be written on a list. From the tiniest thing to the biggest, she has dedicated her life to making sure I felt what true unconditional love is, what Faith means, and what life is genuinely about.
We have always been extremely close. And this last year, we have grown even closer. In the face of the most difficult moment in our lives, we had each other. For the last 6 weeks we had my Dad, we spent our days caring for the man that has been the center of our family. We shared each responsibility and counted on each other to make it to the next. We were each other's "other". What did I learn from her even at our darkest moment? Well, that is simple. We choose to walk the path we have been given. We choose to (in the midst of tears) look Above for the answers we need. We choose to keep the Faith when our world is coming down around us.
For all of the lessons I have learned in my life, they all were getting me ready to be someone's "other"....someone's Mommy. Now that I am a Mommy to 2 little ones, I see my Mom in so many things I do. I hear myself say words and phrases, and immediately think of her. Today, as my Ben handed me a Mother's Day card, I smiled. I now get to be his Mommy. I am blessed beyond measure to have been given this role. A Mommy to a Benjamin Luke and now a Mommy to a Abigail Grace. What a gift!! I get to be their friend....their biggest cheerleader....their confidant.....their therapist.....their support......their Mom!
Mother's Day.....a day where I celebrate MY Mom and all that she has given me.
My cup truly runneth over!
No comments:
Post a Comment