Time between Tuesday July 6 at 8:15 am to now have been the most painful moments in my life. My precious Dad walked into Heaven and we have been heart broken. How do you wrap your head around losing someone you love? How do you return to "normal" activities knowing that that someone isn't here? How do you not look at everything and be reminded of the wonderfulness of that one? And, how do you stop the tears from falling? I am quickly learning that there is no clear answer to these questions. "Normal" is no more.....a new "normal" will have to be formed. Everything will be a reminder.....and hopefully the tears will not fall as often. So, for now, as I am in the midst of this saddness, I will cry. I will look at everything and think of my Dad and all that he was. I will try to find a new "normal" while living in this "abnormal".
Today, we celebrated the life and legacy of my Dad. So many people from our lives gathered in one room and shared stores and memories about one amazing man. The room was decorated with so many beautiful flowers. His flowers were one of the most special parts of this day. For those who know my Dad, you would know how lovely and perfect his yard is. It is manicured and beautiful. Every flower and plant and shrub are perfect. The green grass spreads from house to road....from end to end. Giant crate murtles line the driveway with their perfect blooms. Wild hydrangeas and rose bushes are all around. Magnificent magnolias stand tall. So, when it came to picking his flower arrangement, my mom immediately wanted it to be specifically for him. Our amazing florist made a giant display of all kinds of beautiful greenery....then filled it even more with branches and blooms from his garden. It was breathtaking....it was perfect...it was my Dad. And when it came to the pallbearers.....no other choice than the precious men in my Dad's Sunday School Class. They loved my Dad and were his most loved friends. Six men were chosen to carry him, while the other 15 or more men surrounded it. They ushered him with so much honor.... arms and hands connected.... in the most dignifying display of friendship.
The most dreaded day for any daughter is over, but the sadness and grieving continues. I will miss my Dad every second of every day. After all, he was the first man I loved and the one I measured every man up to. He is half the reason I am who I am. He was and will always be the greatest man I have ever known.
No comments:
Post a Comment