There are a few things about my Dad that some people may not know. As a Dad he was the most gentle and merciful Dad anyone could have. He was selfless and giving, he was encouraging and supportive, he was our teacher and tutor, he was our everthing. As a husband, he was loving and caring, he was sweet and compassionate, he was her everything. But he was also the smartest man I have ever known. As an Auburn graduate (which makes him even smarter!) in electrical engineering, he was brilliant in math and science. As a member of the US Army, he was a soldier. As a friend, he was the most loyal.
Throughout his life, he became a friend to so many. He had a quiet nature about him, yet was able to be the best of leaders.
He and my mom were able to raise my brother and I in a way that we knew where priorities should lie and how to reach our goals. We were taught to try our best at everything and upon succeeding, give God all the glory. We were shown what a true marriage and partnership should be. We were loved unconditionally.
His life of 63 years spread from Redbay, AL to Auburn, AL....from Winston Salem, NC to Birmingham, AL. He has formed friendships, touched lives, and changed people at every single stop.
One of the most touching tributes paid to my Dad at Thursday's service was his group of friends that all joined together as his pall bearers. Only 6 could carry him, so the other 13 or more walked with them. They held shoulders and arms. They ushered him with such dignity and such honor. Tears flowed as they escorted him. (The picture below was taken by my uncle)
As his daughter, who loved him more than anything in the world, this has been the hardest time in my life. Each day, I take it minute by minute. I have moments where I can barely breath. I have times where my heart feels like it can't hold all the sadness. But there is no timetable on this. So, I choose to take each day as each one comes. And I consciously choose to remember the wonderfulness of my Dad. And each day, I will tell Ben about his most amazing G and all that he stood for and all that he did. Ben WILL know my Dad/his G and he WILL know his G's legacy.
No comments:
Post a Comment