How do you top a 1st birthday? You throw a 2nd birthday!!
Ben woke up this morning and was greeted by his Mommy and Daddy and a PILE of presents. The birthday boy was overwhelmed! We loved seeing him so excited. Thomas the train, a dump truck, puzzles, books and of course his new wagon were a big hit. Abby just watched as Ben opened each one.
We went to breakfast and Ben had his most favorite breakfast item. Hashbrowns....or as Ben says, "browns".
The Gigglebox made Ben and Abby's Elmo shirts. All I told her was I wanted Ben's with Elmo face, his name and a "2"....and I wanted Abby's to have Elmo face and girly. Well, I got them exactly as I wanted. We added a tutu to Abby and they were just adorable!
For those who know Ben, they know his love of Elmo. We have MULTIPLE Elmos around the house. Some sing, some giggle, some are puppets, some dance, some are big, and some are little. Elmo is almost like my 3rd child! So when it came to planning Ben's 2nd birthday, Elmo was the focus! Thank goodness for a little site called Pinterest....because everything that inspired this party was "pinned" and then recreated.
Red and turquoise were the colors.
I wanted him to have lots of balloons.
I wanted him and his guests to have cake, cupcakes and cookies.
I wanted him and his guests to have LOTS of food.....afterall, what's a party without a table full of salty and sweet options!!
The dessert table was centered around this adorable 2 level cake. Sweet turquoise icing and little red fondant dots all over. A precious Elmo topper that was made out of rice krispy treats. Yellow and chocolate cupcakes with adorable toppers on a big red platter. Elmo oreos on sticks lined in rows. Straws and covers in mason jars. Tall glass vases with Elmo centerpieces. Lots of turquoise and red pom poms and balloons to make it extra special. I made the pom poms using the Martha Stewart online tutorial and Amy Barron made all the paper decor including cup cake toppers, centerpieces, banners.
Party City supplied the balloons and the Maxima almost floated home.
Melinda Storey of Cake Art made his unbelievable DELICIOUS and adorable cake and cupcakes. If you want a baker.....THIS IS YOUR LADY!!!! The edible Elmo was just perfect as he perched on top (Ben attempted to eat him but was worried when his leg fell off! ha!). I made the elmo oreos using melted chocolate to glue Elmo to the cookie. I wrapped boxes in turquoise paper and flower foam for the skewers.
The food table was packed with white dishes containing yummy snacks.
Menu:
Chicken salad cups
Fruit skewers with dip
Veggies with ranch dip
Crackers and spinach dip
Peanut butter and cream cheese ball with graham crackers
M&Ms
Goldfish in a Dorothy goldfish bowl
Crackers and cheese and bacon dip
The house was decorated with balloons and an adorable banner. The mantle held framed pictures of Ben in his 2 years.
The mailbox was decorated by Ben's Dee (yes, she has been officially named Dee vs B by Ben).
The favor buckets were for his friends. The red gift bags were for his friends that were babies. Elmo inspiration was carried throughout.
The afternoon was spent with a fun group of friends. We played with the kids, snacked and played some more. We watched as the kids tried to "share"....the key word is tried! What a fun afternoon!
Last year Ben was frightened of the candle. He slowly touched the cake before he tore into it. This year he blew out the candle by himself and ate his cupcake like a puppy first then like a big boy!
It is still hard to believe that Ben is 2. It really doesn't seem too long ago, I was handed a 8 lb 3 oz baby boy. I will never forget that moment when everything changed. Everything that once was was now altered. Altered in the most wonderful way. Our lives were forever changed on November 4, 2010 at 5:46pm. At that moment, we were given the most precious gift....the gift of our Ben!
.jpg)
.jpg)
awesome job on the party jessica! it looks perfect. i know what a job it is to undertake all that goes into it. thanks for sharing your ideas and photos. i'm working on carson's 4th party at the moment. a stop light party. i've really got to get creative!!
ReplyDelete