I am by no means a "good cook". I follow recipes to a TEE! I do not modify, I do not substitute, and DO NOT make it up as I go. Before the kiddos, I would try all sorts of new recipes. After all, Food Network was my go to channel. Now, the Rosners' dinners range from a crockpot specialty....to grilled "something"....to grilled cheese! So thankful that Marc is fine with anything.
Last week, one of my patients was telling me about their Sunday family dinners. He and his wife have all their kids and grandkids over and they eat. He is in charge of the cornbread. I casually tell him I have NEVER made cornbread....I mean EVER! He looks at me like I am crazy. "How have you never made it?". I say, "I love cornbread, but haven't even attempted it" Well, he wasn't going to let this go. I was told his recipe.....
Martha White Buttermilk Cornmeal ("The one with the green label....Don't go getting the other kind")
Whole Buttermilk (Don't be buying that light buttermilk or diet buttermilk, you gotta get the real kind")
Spray your castiron pan
Pour some "cookin oil" in the pan.
No amounts, no measurements, nothing! My worst nightmare. My instructions were mix 'em together until it's a little thinner than cake batter. How long do I cook it? "until it's golden brown" How much oil? "just enough to come up on the sides"
Well, I cooked it tonight.....I made a big mess but the outcome was delicious. Who knew I knew how to "wing it"!!
No comments:
Post a Comment